The University of Calgary was established in 1966, yet its roots date back more than half a century earlier to the establishment of the Normal School in Calgary in 1905. The history of Calgary's efforts to obtain a university of its own is virtually as old as Alberta itself. Disappointed in 1906, when the newly formed province situated its sole publicly-funded university in Edmonton, Calgary strove to have an institute of higher learning founded here until it achieved its goal sixty years later. Lobbying, failed and sometimes perhaps misguided efforts, incremental changes, small victories and unwavering determination all form a part of the road that finally led to success.
This collection takes the viewer on a journey along the University of Calgary's road to autonomy. The voyage begins in 1905 when Alberta is being formed as a province and decisions are yet to be made about where the new province's university will be situated. It ends with the passing of the Universities Act in 1966 and the establishment of the autonomous institution known as the University of Calgary. Not an exhaustive history, the collection is intended to introduce viewers to the origins of the university and to provide them with the means to delve further into the events should they so choose.
This collection contains approximately 2500 pages of digitized archival documents and images from the University Archives' holdings relevant to this period. The records provide evidence of the activies and educational institutions which pre-date the founding of the University and of local individuals and organizations actively involved in pursuing this goal.
Records of the Calgary Normal School (1905-1945), Calgary College (1912-1915), the Calgary branch of the University of Alberta (1945-1966), the Calgary University Committee (1946-1966), records created by individuals, and nearly 200 images taken by the Calgary Herald of events and people on the Branch campus during the 1950s and 1960s are included within this collection.
- Curators: Lisa Atkinson, Christie Teterenko
- Technical support and assistance: Jennifer Willard
- Web design: Chris Heazell
- Project supervisor: Lisa Atkinson
Funding for this project has been generously provided by the Department of Canadian Heritage's Young Canada Works programme through the Canadian Council of Archives, and by the University of Calgary through a 40th Anniversary Special Project Grant.
Copyright Statement / Use Restrictions
Access to the digitized photographs and textual documents within this web exhibit and the associated database, and the technical capacity to download them does not imply permission for re-use. The images available here are for scholarly and personal research purposes only.
Permission to reproduce (i.e. publish or publicly display) any image from this collection must be requested in writing. Such requests must be mailed, faxed, or e-mailed to:
University of Calgary Archives
1104MLT, 2500 University Drive NW
Canada T2N 1N4
If the original image is not from the collections of the University of Calgary Archives, permission for re-use must be obtained from the copyright holder.