The Alberta Stock Exchange was established in 1913 by an act of the Province of Alberta. Headquartered in Calgary, stocks trading on the exchange in the early years were mostly mining, resource exploration and oil sands. During the war years 1917-1925, the Exchange ceased operations, reopening in 1926 under the new name Calgary Stock Exchange. The name Alberta Stock Exchange was reinstated in 1975. In November 1999, the Alberta Stock Exchange merged with the Vancouver Stock Exchange to form the Canadian Venture Exchange with the corporate office remaining in Calgary.
“Over the decades, the ASE has grown from an early attempt to bring some order to Alberta's anarchic nascent oil industry, into a respected junior exchange that has helped thousands of companies go public, and hundreds of those graduate to senior markets such as the Toronto Stock Exchange.” (Koch, 1999)
The Alberta Stock Exchange Bulletin Digital Collection provides online access to issues of the Bulletin published between September 1, 1981 and November 26, 1999. Issued on a weekly basis the Bulletin announces all transactions and developments regarding the stocks listed on the Alberta Stock Exchange including: dividends, name changes, stock consolidations, changes in the stock list, amalgamations, new stocks listed, delisted stocks, suspensions, issuer bids and more.
The physical bulletins are part of Libraries and Cultural Resources collection, available through the Business Library at the Haskayne School of Business.
For more information please visit the library or email email@example.com